xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] cleaning up xmlns declarations

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Wolfgang Hoschek <wolfgang.hoschek AT mac.com>
  • To: Elliotte Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • Cc: xom-interest <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] cleaning up xmlns declarations
  • Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 07:50:08 -0700

On Apr 21, 2006, at 7:23 AM, Elliotte Harold wrote:

Steve Loughran wrote:
How do I best go about moving xmlns declarations up to the toplevel so
they arent repeated? I.e, how to clean something like this up:

I'd need to see the code that produced that to tell. I suspect just
adding the relevant namespace declaration to the root element should do
the trick, but I could be wrong about that.

Serializers will supress superfluous namespace redeclarations, but from prior mails, it appears that Steve's usecases involve moving nodes around in-memory trees, without serialization in between.

It might be nice to have a method that reduces redundant namespace declarations by pushing them up the ancestor axis (up to the first occurance or all the way to the top), but then again, it's not clear what exactly the expected behaviour of such a method might be in the general case.

Wolfgang.