xom-interest - [XOM-interest] XOM ancillary files vs Eclipse

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Ed Davies <edavies AT nildram.co.uk>
  • To: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [XOM-interest] XOM ancillary files vs Eclipse
  • Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 13:02:24 +0100

XOM includes a group of ancillary files which can be used instead
of the XML stuff in the JDK. These include xalan.jar, xercesImpl.jar
and xml-apis.jar. They're not needed with Java 1.4 but are "quite a
bit faster and less buggy than the ones bundled with the JDK" so
I used them.

I just put them in lib/ext with the xom-1.1.jar file.

This turns out to be a bad idea as they seem to break Eclipse. It
fails with error messages about org/apache/xml/serializer/TreeWalker.
Now I've removed those files it seems to be working OK.

This is with JDK 1.5.0_04, XOM 1.1, Eclipse 3.1.1 and 3.1.2 (I
upgraded to see if that fixed things before working out what the
real problem area was) under Ubuntu 5.04.

It's working now so I'm not too bothered but, out of curiousity,
anybody know what the interaction here was?

Ed Davies.