xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Inconsistent xml:id sanity checks

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: John Cowan <cowan AT ccil.org>
  • To: Elliotte Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • Cc: xom-interest <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Inconsistent xml:id sanity checks
  • Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 23:32:49 -0500

Elliotte Harold scripsit:

> On the other side, I still feel that assigning a non-NCName as an ID
> value is likely a mistake and perhaps should be flagged; so if anyone
> feels strongly this is the wrong decision, speak up. There's a very
> good chance you can change my mind about this and restore the current
> stricter behavior if that's what anyone wants.

No, I agree with the decision to keep it loose.
It's easy for someone to write code to walk the tree and validate the
ID values. Note, BTW, that a document can have ID attributes as
defined by the DTD which have values that aren't NCNames, so it's
nothing specific to xml:id.

(You have no idea how hard it was to flush out all the assumptions
from the xml:id Recommendation that because a document has a DTD it's
necessarily valid. ID processing has nothing to do with validation,
in fact.)

--
John Cowan cowan AT ccil.org www.ccil.org/~cowan
Female celebrity stalker, on a hot morning in Cairo: