xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Non NCName IDs

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Ed Davies <edavies AT nildram.co.uk>
  • To: 'xom-interest' <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Non NCName IDs
  • Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 10:10:10 +0000

John Cowan wrote:
If xml:id errors were marked "fatal", then *every* implementation would
have to treat them as fatal. However, there is nothing stopping XOM from
(a) treating the errors as fatal in every case, or (b) providing a switch
the user can set to "Ignore xml:id errors" or "Treat xml:id errors as
fatal", or (c) providing a hook such that elements with xml:id errors
are passed to the hook, or ....

Daniel Veillard wrote:
And that's how we end up with software expecting id('1234') or id('foo bar') to work in XPath. I still think it's a disaster to
let this go though while we had the opportunity to block it and
force the cleanup for xml:id

If John's choice b) is selected then the switch should be "Ignore
xml:id errors"; the default should be to treat the errors as
fatal for the reason Daniel Veillard gives. It's always easier
to loosen the rules when it's found to be necessary than to
retrospectively tighten them.

Ed Davies.