xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] [Nux] [StaX] Validating an XML document with Xom

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Tatu Saloranta <cowtowncoder AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Michael Kay <mike AT saxonica.com>, 'Wolfgang Hoschek' <wolfgang.hoschek AT mac.com>, 'Verachten Bruno' <Bruno.Verachten AT atosorigin.com>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] [Nux] [StaX] Validating an XML document with Xom
  • Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 09:53:51 -0800 (PST)

--- Michael Kay <mike AT saxonica.com> wrote:

> > I am also interested in knowing relative
> popularity of
> > Relax NG vs. W3C Schema:
>
> That's easy: it just depends on what you mean by
> "popularity". Nearly
> everyone uses XML Schema, and nearly everyone hates
> it.

;-)

That is probably a reasonable summary.

If only it was possibly to consider w3c schema more as
a binding artifact (machine producible and readable)
than anything a human being can and needs to read, or
especially, write. But for that it may still bit too
complicated... It seems like it is mostly (and most
succesfully?) used as an interface definition and data
binding description language.

Instead of popularity, I probably should re-phrase the
question as to which one is more/most necessary.

Also... I think that the third popular candidate
(Schematron) is probably something that can not be
easily implemented in a streaming manner; so while it
has its strenghts, it probably needs to be handled at
an object model level?

-+ Tatu +-