xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Attributes, ParentNodes, and "child" nodes ...

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: John Cowan <cowan AT ccil.org>
  • To: Mike Colbert <mbcolbert AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Attributes, ParentNodes, and "child" nodes ...
  • Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 08:37:37 -0500

Mike Colbert scripsit:

> Yes, that's another good example. A saner object model would definitely
> go a long way towards simplifying things. As it is, the model is really
> more
> complex than the API will admit to. Talk about a bait and switch. I
> understand this is old news by now, with its roots in DOM, XPath, etc. I
> look forward to a cleaner, more correct model. XOM 2.0?

It's not obvious that making the containers entirely type-safe is a sensible
approach, much less a simpler one. I would need to be convinced that a
class tree could still be constructed, since XOM is about classes not
interfaces.
In addition, there might wind up being more casting anyhow.

Can you sketch such a model for us?

--
John Cowan <cowan AT ccil.org> http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
One time I called in to the central system and started working on a big