xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] final Attribute.getValue()

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: Romain Deltour <romain.deltour AT inrialpes.fr>
  • Cc: xom-interest <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] final Attribute.getValue()
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 10:36:19 -0500

Romain Deltour wrote:
I think it would be really useful to allow subclasses override the Attribute.getValue() method, here is a use case:

That's not going to happen. A nonfinal getter method would enable subclasses to violate the constraints on the object; for instance by returning null or a string that contains illegal characters.

I'm not convinced your use case is real as opposed to theoretical, but even if you did convince me of that; correctness trumps performance in the XOM value hierarchy.