xom-interest - [XOM-interest] uuid generation (was Re: Scope of namespaces)

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Tatu Saloranta <cowtowncoder AT yahoo.com>
  • To: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [XOM-interest] uuid generation (was Re: Scope of namespaces)
  • Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 17:24:11 -0800 (PST)

--- Steve Loughran <steve.loughran AT gmail.com> wrote:

> The other way is just to have a URI and mandate that
> the URI must be
> unique, and use the uuid: schema in all your
> examples; java1.5 has an
> easy (but not effficient) way to generate UUIDs for
> you.

It may be worth noting that there have been 2 other
UUID generator packages out there for years (Jug,
jakarta id), both of which already did what jdk1.5
does and more (ie. also the location+time based
variant).
Not sure why Sun had to reinvent that small part, more
than once (Jini had a 'read-only' uuid class etc).

But I wouldn't think that jdk1.5 generation method
should be very inefficient? It of course depends on
random number generator being used, but still... at
least Jug was able to churn uuids at about 100k/second
(using SecureRandom in case of random-based uuid)
rate.

So how slow is JDK1.5's method? Maybe I'll go and test
it out now, having some excuse to check it out.

-+ Tatu +-