xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Is XML Text or CDATA that includes the zerocharacter legal?

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: "Michael Kay" <mike AT saxonica.com>
  • To: "'John.Cowan'" <jcowan AT reutershealth.com>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Is XML Text or CDATA that includes the zerocharacter legal?
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 22:29:05 +0100

> Speaking for myself and not the Core WG, I consider that a
> dysproperty. Random
> binary trash should not just be stuffed unthinkingly into XML
> documents.

Ah, I see. It is good to map octets onto an alphabet of 64 characters
because it requires more thought than mapping them onto an alphabet of 256
characters. I humbly thank the Core WG for giving me this wonderful
opportunity to exercise my brain cells.

Michael Kay

(Hey, if it's random then it's not trash. Random sequences are precious. You
can't have it both ways.)