xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] StAX Support

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: Dan Diephouse <dan AT envoisolutions.com>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] StAX Support
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 14:19:56 -0400

Dan Diephouse wrote:
Is there any interest in StAX support for XOM? I have StaxBuilder and StaxSerializer classes. In addition I have a class which turns an Element into an XMLStreamReader. Only thing I'm really missing is a XOMStreamWriter which builds a XOM tree from an XMLStreamWriter.

I've considered it. It's not high on my priority list, and probably won't get into 1.1, but if you've got something you'd like to contribute, we can talk. I have two main questions for this:

1. What's the use case? i.e. how do you justify the added complexity in XOM? There's a certain presumption against new features that needs to be overcome. If it could be demonstrated that StAX parsing/tree-building were noticeably faster than SAX parsing or that there were a lot of other StAX based APIs waiting to interoperate with XOM, this might make sense. So far I haven't seen either of those though.

2. What dependencies would this add to XOM? i.e. would it still be possible to build and run XOM in Java 1.2/1.3/1.4 if we added this?