xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Re: Yet another crimson DTD bug

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Re: Yet another crimson DTD bug
  • Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 17:46:13 -0400

Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:

I've reproduced this one, but it's not what I initially thought it was. It seems to have something to do with Crimson identifying constructs as part of the internal DTD subset that are really coming from the external DTD subset. I should be able to fix this, but it may take me a little while to kill it.

Apparently I noticed this a while ago. The source has the following comment:

// We have a problem here. Xerces gets this right,
// but Crimson and possibly other parsers don't properly
// report these entities, or perhaps just not tag them
// with [dtd] like they're supposed to.
public void startEntity(String name) {
if (name.equals("[dtd]")) inExternalSubset = true;
}

public void endEntity(String name) {
if (name.equals("[dtd]")) inExternalSubset = false;
}

In fact, the debugger shows these methods aren't called at all by Crimson for the external DTD subset. The only solution I can think of at the moment is to simply not add the internal DTD subset when using Crimson and there is an external DTD subset.