xom-interest - [XOM-interest] XOM 1.1 alpha 3

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [XOM-interest] XOM 1.1 alpha 3
  • Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 18:37:01 -0500

I've posted the latest alpha release of XOM 1.1 in the usual location:

http://www.xom.nu/unstable.html

The major change in this release is that the serializer no longer depends on IBM's ICU to encode data in Unicode normalization form C. Doubtless the code as it exists is not as fast as the ICU code used previously. It may well have undiscovered bugs (though it does pass all 17,122 Unicode test cases). The primary advantage of using my own code here is:

1. Saving about 200K on the total size of the jars you need to distribute.

2. It now possible to run pretty much all of XOM in Java 1.4 and later without any 3rd party jars. junit.jar may be required, but only if you're using XOMTestCase, in which case you probably have JUnit somewhere already. In Java 1.3 and earlier, you will need a SAX parser and XSLT engine as well.

There are a few assorted bug fixes. Otherwise the only noticeable change is that XIncluder now makes some effort to use relative URLs for xml:base attributes it inserts.

This is probably the last feature release for 1.1. Getting normalization working wore me out, and I've got a lot of non-XOM related work that I have to focus on in the near future. For now I'm going to concentrate on testing, optimization, documentation, and packaging with an eye toward shipping 1.1. Once that's done, I can revisit some of the other requested features like catalog support for 1.2.

  • [XOM-interest] XOM 1.1 alpha 3, Elliotte Rusty Harold, 03/27/2005