xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] License Poll

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Al Hopper <al AT logical-approach.com>
  • To: <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] License Poll
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 07:20:15 -0600 (CST)

Elliotte,

Before you decide, please take a look at Suns Common Development and
Distribution License (CDDL) at:

http://www.opensource.org/licenses/cddl1.php
http://www.sun.com/cddl/

In particular, look at why they felt that no current license met their
needs, and decided to put valuable resources to work to develop a new
license and get it OSI approved. It's also interesting to see the redlines
against the MPL.

The CDDL addresses Patent law - which is currently ignored by (L)GPL. I
honestly think that when (L)GPL version 3 is released, it'll be much closer
to the CDDL than most GPL zealots would dare to believe.

Just so you know where I'm coming from: I'm a member of Suns Open Solaris
Pilot program ( http://www.opensolaris.org/ ) and Sun will use the CDDL for
Open Solaris.

Think about the "value" of Solaris to Sun. It represents hundreds of man
years of development. Do you think that Sun did it's homework as regards
licensing this body of work? Obviously they did.

So my vote would be for CDDL.

Al Hopper Logical Approach Inc, Plano, TX. al AT logical-approach.com
Voice: 972.379.2133 Fax: 972.379.2134