xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Attributes performance patch

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: Wolfgang Hoschek <whoschek AT lbl.gov>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Attributes performance patch
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 16:15:42 -0500

At 5:52 PM -0800 11/22/04, Wolfgang Hoschek wrote:

Another way to use it is to benchmark nu.xom.Builder or nu.xom.Serializer with various configurations. In the former case, you can see that over subsequent xerces releases, hotspots are more and more shifting from xerces into XOM.

In general, I'm very interested in any hot spots that show up in Builder, because this is quite reflective of real-world use in many, perhaps most, use-cases. XOM goes to great lengths to try to avoid doing excessive work when building. Caching the namespace URIs should help here. Most of the other verification issues don't affect the builder, though, as long as it's using an approved parser such as Xerces. If you spot any other hot spots, please holler.

One other optimization does occur to me here, but it's probably redundant with URI caching. I could limit the Builder to verifying only the URLs passed in as namespace declarations. Element and attribute namespaces will have either already been declared with one of these, or the parser will complain.

Effective XML (Addison-Wesley, 2003)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0321150406/ref=nosim/cafeaulaitA

  • Re: [XOM-interest] Attributes performance patch, Elliotte Rusty Harold, 12/09/2004