xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Text.copy

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: stevel AT apache.org
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Text.copy
  • Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 18:31:14 -0500

Steve Loughran wrote:

Maybe you're just trying too hard

http://www.cs.umd.edu/~pugh/IsCodeOptimizationRelevant.pdf

That presentation seems to be referring specifically to research efforts expended on new tricks for optimizing compilers, not optimizing in general. Wolfgang finds XOM slower than he would like, so if I can speed up XOM without compromising correctness, excessively impacting clarity, or negatively affecting memory size, I'd like to do that. Speed is not the be-all and end-all, though. I've refused several suggestions Wolfgang made because these would have increased memory use (using String in Text instead of byte[]) or compromised correctness.

I'm also very interested in dropping the memory usage in any way I can, since that really does impact a lot of use cases. Every percentage point I can squeeze out of the memory makes XOM feasible for a few more documents.