xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Attributes performance patch

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: Wolfgang Hoschek <whoschek AT lbl.gov>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Attributes performance patch
  • Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 20:18:42 -0500

Wolfgang Hoschek wrote:

Improves by some 12%. The benchmark was given in the mail: download the document contained in the zip file, and run deserialization with the nux BinaryXMLTest.

I tried that, but NUX wouldn't compile against the main trunk of XOM because of the various incompatible changes you've made. :-(

But really I need something simpler that goes right to the heart of the problem. Think of it as extreme benchmarking. We need unit benchmarks that test one thing and one thing only. These benchmarks might be informed by experience with actual applications, just as unit tests would be informed by finding bugs in production code, but you don't use the production code as the unit test for the bug. Instead you write a much simpler case that exposes the bug. In this case a much simpler case that exposed the slowness would be extremely helpful.