xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] DOMConverter performance regression

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: Wolfgang Hoschek <whoschek AT lbl.gov>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] DOMConverter performance regression
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 06:48:55 -0400

Wolfgang Hoschek wrote:

BTW, converting a XOM document to a DOM document is currently twice as slow as it was in xom-1.0d25 (which was before the non-recursive "experiment"):

DOMConverterCVS:
Builder.build took [s] = 41.969
xom -> dom took [s] = 43.072
dom -> xom took [s] = 28.727

DOMConverterD25:
Builder.build took [s] = 39.113
xom -> dom took [s] = 22.135
dom -> xom took [s] = 28.608

Observed with a 30 MB file containing some 30000 records, each record of the following form:

OK. I'll keep that in mind. It doesn't strike me as a crippling problem. An extra 21 seconds to convert a 30MB file is not particularly bad unless you need to do that every minute or two. (Do you?) DOMConverter is a bit of add-on functionality. It's not something that's going to affect a lot of other uses. In any case, Moore's Law should fix this problem for me in about 18 months. :-)

If you have a profilable test case to submit, I can play with it and see if there are any obvious speed-ups to be had. But I probably won't worry about this in the 1.0 time frame since it doesn't affect the API design or the correctness of the code.