xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] dtd problems

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: luca <passani AT eunet.no>
  • Cc: xom-interest <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] dtd problems
  • Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 10:07:35 -0400

luca wrote:

there must be a difference between "not ignoring a DTD altogether"
and:

- parsing the DTD URL
- opening an HTTP connection trying to grab the DTD
- halting everything if the DTD is not retrieved for any reason.

Even if you do want to load the external DTDs once, you could use SAX's EntityResolver to cache the DTD so you don;t have to keep reloading the same remote resources. See examples 8 and 9 in http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/xml/JavaTechandXML_part3/

Possibly I should build something like this into XOM's Builder class. I'll put that on the TODO List to consider post-1.0.

Anyway, just to be totally clear, XML to me is just a slightly
more standard and sophisticated way to do comma-separated lists,
which, in a way, is all I need for my job. I think it's fair to require
that a tool like XOM delivers out of the box
what 'grep' has being delivering for 20 years.

Comma separated lists don't have external entity references and default attribute values to consider :-)