xom-interest - [XOM-interest] Beta 4: Faster XSLT; More Reliable SAX

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: xom-interest <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [XOM-interest] Beta 4: Faster XSLT; More Reliable SAX
  • Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 19:43:31 -0400

I've uploaded XOM 1.0 beta 4 to the usual location:

http://cafeconleche.org/XOM/

This release is still backwards compatible with 1.0d25. However it does deprecate four XSLTransform constructors as discussed on the list. These will be removed in the next release. The upside is that XSLT transformation should now be much faster and memory efficient since XOM is no longer writing documents out into strings and passing those to the transform. Instead it is streaming SAX events directly into the transformer. Furthermore, implementing this exposed several bugs in the SAXConverter (and indirectly one in the DOMConverter) that have now been fixed. I've also fixed some minor cosmetic bugs innvolving serialization of internal DTD subsets.

Finally, the toXML methods now use \n as their preferred line break because this is the most likely line break to be found in text nodes in a document parsed from a stream, and I'd prefer to avoid mixed line endings in documents. This is only used for insignificant line breaks such as the one after the XML declaration, not for line breaks in element content and attribute values. I'm still considering the implications of this for serialization.

  • [XOM-interest] Beta 4: Faster XSLT; More Reliable SAX, Elliotte Harold, 09/06/2004