xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] XSLTransform constructors are flawed

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: John Cowan <jcowan AT reutershealth.com>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] XSLTransform constructors are flawed
  • Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2004 07:10:11 -0400

At 5:40 PM -0400 9/1/04, John Cowan wrote:

File objects can't reliably be converted to a base URI either.

Just curious. Could you elaborate on this point? I know file URLs vary from one platform to the next, but within a program running on the same VM they seem to work. That is a file URL created by File.ToURL() can be used to resolve relative URLs within the document read from that file, a slong as the file doesn't move.

I suppose there might be problems if XOM serialized the files with extra xml:base attributes to try and preserve the base URI, and then that file got moved to a different system. Is there any other situation where file URLs created from java.io.File objects are likely to be a problem?

Effective XML (Addison-Wesley, 2003)