xom-interest - Re: Re: [XOM-interest] XOM in an applet

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: "Ken Kast" <ken AT kenkast.com>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Re: [XOM-interest] XOM in an applet
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 07:23:15 -0400

At 8:40 PM -0700 8/23/04, Ken Kast wrote:
I unbundled and it worked.

I've been using autojar to create the bundled archive. Is it something to
do with the order files go into the jar?

I really don't know, but I kind of doubt it. I don't know what autojar is. Is it perhaps missing the manifest file? Or only copying classes and not copying the bundled resources? Or maybe it's just buggy?

OK. Found autojar in Google. According to the web page:

Autojar helps creating jar files of minimal size from different inputs like own classes, external archives etc. It starts from a given class (e.g., an applet), recursively searches the bytecode for references to other classes, extracts these classes from the input archives, and copies them to the output. The resulting archive will only contain the classes you really need. Thus you can keep the size and loading time of applets low or make applications independent of installed libraries.

In a similar way, autojar can search directories and archives for other resources (like image files), extract them and copy them to the output.

Note that the program can't tell which classes will be loaded dynamically (by Class.forName()). If you know these classes in advance, you can simply provide them on the command line. If you don't, however, autojar may be not suitable.

XOM does use Class.forName() in a few places (especially in Java 1.5) and some other tricks with the JAR archive. Therefore I strongly suspect it's autojar that's causing your problems by not correctly detecting what your applet needs to run.

Effective XML (Addison-Wesley, 2003)
http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/effectivexml http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0321150406/ref%3Dnosim/cafeaulaitA