xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] DOMConverter bug

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: John Cowan <jcowan AT reutershealth.com>
  • To: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org, Wolfgang Hoschek <whoschek AT lbl.gov>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] DOMConverter bug
  • Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 12:03:55 -0400

Elliotte Rusty Harold scripsit:

> If you have measurements of this, I'd like to see them. I'm not
> surprised that performance is worse. The iterative version uses
> instanceof in several places, and that's a bad performance hit. The
> core classes have package protected methods that let them avoid this,
> but I can't access those from DOMConverter. :-(

I was going to apologize for inflicting this iterative version on you,
but I do remember warning you against instanceof as a terrible performance
sink (you called it "the Java way", IIRC).

So I guess it's a wash.

--
Her he asked if O'Hare Doctor tidings sent from far John Cowan
coast and she with grameful sigh him answered that www.ccil.org/~cowan