xom-interest - [XOM-interest] Use case for making XOM Serializable

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: François Beausoleil <fbeausoleil AT ftml.net>
  • To: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [XOM-interest] Use case for making XOM Serializable
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 00:16:46 -0400

Hi !

I remember a while ago there was some discussion on the list[1] about making XOM classes Serializable.

Elliote argued that XML is a better serialization method. I agree, but I think I might have a case where this is not quite relevant.

I just downloaded LighTS[2], a lightweight TupleSpace implementation.

Tuples can be matched by formal or actual parameters. Formal parameters are for wildcards (match any String object, or match any Long object). Actual parameters are for values (match any Tuple with value 3).

My use case is this: I would like to add XOM Documents to my TupleSpace. If I were to put in the XML form of the Document, I would end up matching on having to match a formal of type String, not a nu.xom.Document. This will be a problem because I have other code that works with the same TupleSpace, which requires matching on String only.

You're going to say that I should simply add another field to my Tuple that describes the type of the XML field, but why should I do that, when Java's class system already does what I need ?

I don't know if my explanations are good enough. If not, ask, and I shall provide more info.

Also, I'm not arguing that this should be done right now. I simply wanted to give a heads up, with the intent being to spark some more discussions.

Bye !
François

[1] Archives "Use in EJBs" - https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/xom-interest/2004-February/000949.html
[2] LighTS - http://lights.sourceforge.net/

  • [XOM-interest] Use case for making XOM Serializable, François Beausoleil, 08/19/2004