xom-interest - RE: [XOM-interest] static Builder.create methods instead of const ructors?

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: "New, Cecil (GEAE)" <cecil.new AT ae.ge.com>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [XOM-interest] static Builder.create methods instead of const ructors?
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 09:03:22 -0400

I can't judge the overhead required for a builder. But by analogy, app
servers do pool database connections - for which to open incurs high
overhead. And they make a huge difference in performance. If builders also
incur such overhead and many are needed and used concurrently, then pooling
would make sense for them as well.

Absolutely. I'm just trying to understand why that should be done inside XOM rather than inside the application. If there's something inside XOM that would prevent builders from being pooled, that would be a real concern; but I don't think there is any such problem.

Effective XML (Addison-Wesley, 2003)