xom-interest - [XOM-interest] XOM and Tag Soup

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Harold - java FAQ <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [XOM-interest] XOM and Tag Soup
  • Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 15:11:40 -0400 (EDT)

I talked with John Cowan during an Extreme coffee break and we did a
little thinking about what's required for XOM to work with Tag Soup.
Warning: so far this is all theoretical. We haven't actually tried any of
this yet.

Looking at the Builder code, I think the Tag Soup parser just need to be
able to handle this block of code:

parser.setFeature("http://xml.org/sax/features/namespace-prefixes";, true);
parser.setFeature("http://xml.org/sax/features/external-general-entities";,
true);
parser.setFeature("http://xml.org/sax/features/external-parameter-entities";,
true);

In other words, Tag Soup needs to not throw any exceptions on this code.
Other requirements:

1. It never calls skippedEntity()
2. It handles namespace declaratuion attributes by as indicated by setting
the namespaces and namespace-prefixes features to true.

Hmm, that gives me a few more ideas for John's "Balises de Soupe - Be
Evil" poster. I'll add them at the coffee break.

elharo AT macfaq.com

  • [XOM-interest] XOM and Tag Soup, Elliotte Harold - java FAQ, 08/03/2004