xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Using XOM in an applet

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: "Ken Kast" <ken AT kenkast.com>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Using XOM in an applet
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 10:30:46 -0400

At 8:15 AM -0700 5/25/04, Ken Kast wrote:
All,

I'm trying to use XOM in an applet that provides client-to-server processing. I get an AccessControlException that seems to indicate that the pkg is trying to set a system property outside of policy. Does anyone know if XOM (or one of its constant classes) does do that, and is there any initialization I can do to make it well-behaved as an applet-class?

I've duplicated the problem, and it should be fixed in CVS. I'd appreciate it if you can check this out, and let me know if it solves it for you.

What this really points to is a design flaw in Xerces, which I need to bug them about. there's no reason this functionality should only be exposed through a system property. That fact is causing problems in several environments.

I am having trouble figuring out how to unit test this within in the JUnit framework. I've written a separate test that I used to verify that the problem was fixed. However, writing a JUnit test case for this problem required installing a security manager, specifically the AppletSecurityManager. Easy enough to do. However, it turns out the AppletSecurityManager promptly breaks JUnit which does all sorts of nasty stuff behind the scenes that the AppletSecurityManager disallows. I tried deinstalling it, within the same unit test, but that's not apparently fast enough. The tests still fail. Has anyone figured out how to use JUnit to test code that depends on the presence of a security manager?

Effective XML (Addison-Wesley, 2003)

  • Re: [XOM-interest] Using XOM in an applet, Elliotte Rusty Harold, 06/03/2004