xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Preserving base URIs on detachment

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: Nils_Kilden-Pedersen AT Countrywide.Com
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Preserving base URIs on detachment
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 14:50:27 -0500

At 9:22 AM -0800 3/26/04, Nils_Kilden-Pedersen AT Countrywide.Com wrote:

I still believe that you should think of some way to make it explicit,
because there are use cases for both scenarios.
If booleans are unacceptable, go with an enumeration, i.e.
detach(Node.PRESERVE_BASE_URI), or something like that.

That's not going to happen. Wrong side of 80/20. Excessively configurable APIs are confusing, hard to learn, and hard to use. I will pick one approach or the other. Anyone who needs the alternative behavior can simply call setBaseURI after detaching the node. The question is what's the more sensible default.

Effective XML (Addison-Wesley, 2003)