xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Uncompressed jar (xom-1.0d25.jar) has limited appeal

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Janek Bogucki <janekdb AT yahoo.co.uk>
  • To: Sandy Mustard <Sandy.Mustard AT ugsplm.com>, xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Uncompressed jar (xom-1.0d25.jar) has limited appeal
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 09:51:04 +0000 (GMT)

--- Sandy Mustard <Sandy.Mustard AT ugsplm.com> wrote: >
> After looking at the test code, I think some analysis might be needed
> before we can rely on these numbers. Enlighten me if I am wrong but
> doesn't loading a class that references other classes also loads the
> referenced classes? If so, the loading of Node also loads ParentNode.
> Later in the test code, ParentNode is loaded, doesn't the JVM already
> have this in memory? Wouldn't an analysis of the class heirarchies and
> references be appropriate in developing the test case?
> Would also a test case that approximates the normal pattern of class
> reference/usage from a user's program be appropriate?
>
> Sandy Mustard

I think life is too short to worry about this further. The takeaway from the
test case is that an
uncompressed xom jar doesn't really help much with class loading so let's
have a compressed jar.

Grant Wood made a good point about a small jar being preferable to a larger
one (with the same
content of course) for JNLP. Indeed this 'size matters' issue came up on the
springframework
mailing list when bcel lost points to cglib due to it's greater size.

-Janek