xom-interest - re: [XOM-interest] Serializing objects that contain an instan ce of nu.xom.Document, part II

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: "Brian Sam-Bodden" <bsbodden AT integrallis.com>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: re: [XOM-interest] Serializing objects that contain an instan ce of nu.xom.Document, part II
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 18:37:07 -0500

At 2:42 PM -0800 2/19/04, Brian Sam-Bodden wrote:

If you look at systems like Prevayler (prevayler.org)
you see that persistence depends on an object being
serializable. Which brings back the question of: should
the XOM classes be serializable so they can live in
places like Prevayler, Ozone (object database) or many
of the caching implementations that depends of the
*evils* of serialization? I don't know the answer. For
now I think a good compromise it what I did, make
internal class members that are XOM docs, transient and
instead use a DOM object (in my case I need caching of
the XML so that's why I need some sort of parsed
document object). If not I think I agree with Rusty
that you just keep the raw XML inside of your object.

I would assume that when a XOM object moves into any non-XML system it would need to be converted to something appropriate for that system, be it relational tables, custom objects or something else. If the conversion overhead were excessive, I'd suggest exploring native XML databases designed to efficiently search, store, and sort XML data.

Effective XML (Addison-Wesley, 2003)