xom-interest - re: re: [XOM-interest] Serializing objects that contain an instance of nu.xom.Document, part II

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Nils_Kilden-Pedersen AT Countrywide.Com
  • To: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: re: re: [XOM-interest] Serializing objects that contain an instance of nu.xom.Document, part II
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 14:04:19 -0800

xom-interest-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote on 02/19/2004 01:55:36 PM:

> I agree, but it this case the receiver is part of the
> same application. We are processing a couple million
> docs a day and they all go through sort of pipeline or
> assembly line if you wish. At each step (some step are
> synchronous and some are asynchronous) specific pieces
> of information in the doc are required. Some of these
> steps for a given document can all happen in a matter
> of milliseconds while some steps might involved hours
> (Documents sometimes arrive in sections from different
> external parties). All steps are synchronized using
> message passing, for those steps close in time, not
> having to parse the document again provides a
> significant boost in performance. For those steps which
> are separated in time by any significant amount of
> time, say 15 min. we reparse the document. So, as you
> can see it is not as clear cut as just saying passing a
> DOM object or XOM object around is bad distributed
> design. I some places we only pass a identifier that
> allows a process to get its document from a distributed
> cache, so even if communications don't involve passing
> around serializable objects, they still need to be
> serializable to be placed in a distributed cache.

Why not go with an object model instead? Maybe even use JAXB or something
similar that can convert your schema/DTD to java classes. You would gain
better type safety and much nicer code.

Nils
From: Brendan.Johnston AT wellsfargo.com
To: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
Subject: RE: re: [XOM-interest] Serializing objects that contain an instan
ce of nu.xom.Document, part II
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 14:19:55 -0800

It seems to me that some people are saying:

XML serialization has certain advantages over Java serialization.

And others are saying:

Java serialization is faster than XML serialization
in a way that is significant for my app.

My question is:

What is the performance difference between Java serialization and XML
serialization?

If those who have said that Java serialization is faster have good numbers
for their app,
then can they share them?

Brendan