xom-interest - [XOM-interest] Re: Unicode forms for internal storage

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: "Doug Ewell" <dewell AT adelphia.net>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org, Unicode Mailing List <unicode AT unicode.org>
  • Subject: [XOM-interest] Re: Unicode forms for internal storage
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 06:33:15 -0500

At 10:59 PM -0800 1/20/04, Doug Ewell wrote:

If you are using the "mini" version of SCSU where Latin-1 characters are
stored as 1 byte each and everything else is stored as UTF-16 (using SCU
and UC0 tags to switch between modes), you ought to achieve really good
speed.

I'll have to try this. The speed hit on using full SCSU was very noticeable.

Ultimately, I suspect what I should do is provide some means of letting the user choose the appropriate algorithm and trade-off between speed and space for their data, possibly via a system property, a flag in the class, or even a build-time option. However, that's going to have to wait for 1.1. For 1.0, I just want to pick something that's a reasonable compromise across the most common cases.

Effective XML (Addison-Wesley, 2003)