xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Reduce Verifier memory requirements

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: Wolfgang Hoschek <whoschek AT lbl.gov>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Reduce Verifier memory requirements
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 16:44:31 -0500

At 12:02 PM -0800 1/20/04, Wolfgang Hoschek wrote:
Eliotte,

The new Verifier in CVS is a good idea.

However, it needs 65 KB static main memory (and a larger jar file) by using a byte array where a bit array would suffice. Perhaps it might make sense to try reducing memory requirements by a factor eight, either by using a java.util.Bitset or manually doing similar bit twiddling.

Actually that array has four separate flags in each byte for testing whether a character is legal as

1. A name start character
2. A name character
3. An XML character
4. An NCName character

So I could only cut it down by half to 32K. And I've given some thought to what I could stuff in the other nibble, so I'm not sure it's going to be empty forever.

Effective XML (Addison-Wesley, 2003)