xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Canonicalizer and Serializer could implement a common interface

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: John Cowan <cowan AT mercury.ccil.org>
  • To: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Canonicalizer and Serializer could implement a common interface
  • Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 07:53:56 -0500

Elliotte Rusty Harold scripsit:

> Would that actually help anybody do anything though? Would anybody
> actually want to use Canonicalizers and Serializers as instances of a
> common superclass? It feels like an interface for interface's sake. I
> don't see what problem is solved by adding it.

Well, it doesn't seem inconceivable to me that someone would want to
allow output in multiple forms: plain XML, canonical XML, HTML 4.0,
plain text, etc. etc. In particular, anyone implementing an XSLT
processor using XOM would certainly want such a thing.

The basic usage style of *izer is to instantiate one, set it up with
class-specific method calls, and then invoke write() one or more
times. It would be plausible to hide the first two things in an
application method, and then allow calling write() on whatever was
returned from the method.

--
John Cowan jcowan AT reutershealth.com www.reutershealth.com ccil.org/~cowan
Dievas dave dantis; Dievas duos duonos --Lithuanian proverb