xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] (no subject)

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: billfly3 AT comcast.net, xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] (no subject)
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 16:33:32 -0400

At 6:46 PM +0000 10/22/03, billfly3 AT comcast.net wrote:
ERH,
Please, rollout XOM 1.0. I would like to utilize it for a production project, but I am probably going to resort to JDOM, because it is still a beta version. It concerns me when the XOM samples don't compile, because the insert API has been changed to put the position number as the second parameter and the samples still have the position number as the first parameter.

If something in the nu.xom.samples package doesn't compile, that's a bug. PLease send more specifics. If you're talking about the tutorial, then final documentation will be fixed between beta and release.

The 1.0 API is very close to frozen. I only have a few potentially breaking changes left to consider, and these are in fairly advanced parts of the API. They shouldn't affect anybody who isn't subclassing NodeFactory or Serializer. I expect to declare XOM alpha (tentative API freeze) in the near future.

JDOM calls itself a beta, but it's current state isn't really any more frozen than XOM's. There'll be significant changes between JDOM beta 9 and beta 10, some of which are visible in the JDOM CVS now. Beyond that I don't know where JDOM is going.

Processing XML with Java (Addison-Wesley, 2002)
http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/xmljava
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0201771861/cafeaulaitA