xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Serialize a bit at a time?

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: "Galt, Stuart A" <stuart.a.galt AT boeing.com>, <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Serialize a bit at a time?
  • Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 11:10:38 -0400

At 10:53 AM -0700 9/30/03, Galt, Stuart A wrote:

I don't generate this data in a linear way so converting it to
just dump to a stream would be hard. But I would like be able to
tell the write method to only traverse the node tree until it gets
to a specified point. Then I could do something like:

write from the document element to the pages element;
for each page {
build xom for that page;
write it out;
release the page;
}
write out the "rest of the tree";

Am I crazy? What is the normal way of doing stuff like this?

It'sa good question. This is perhaps not as trivial as it should be. I suspect you might get what you want by subclassing Serializer just to make the write(Element) method public, and the calling that repeatedly.

I'm currently thinking about major changes for the Serializer class. I'll take this into consideration,. It's all grist for the mill.

Processing XML with Java (Addison-Wesley, 2002)
http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/xmljava
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0201771861/cafeaulaitA

  • Re: [XOM-interest] Serialize a bit at a time?, Elliotte Rusty Harold, 10/03/2003