xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Encoding

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: John Cowan <cowan AT mercury.ccil.org>
  • To: Johan Strandberg <johan AT acm.org>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Encoding
  • Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2003 12:49:59 -0400

Johan Strandberg scripsit:

> Good point. It is not like this is easy to disambiguate. There is also a
> passage in Appendix-F (although that is non-normative -- thanks a lot,
> you get some info that you can work with and the you realize that
> anything it says may have to be ignored [sigh])

The reason Appendix F is non-normative is that no parser has to make
use of it. It's perfectly conformant to recognize only UTF-8 and
UTF-16, just verify that the correct encoding declaration is present
in each case, and tell all other encoding declarations to go to Hell.

> The magic word here is "must" because according to the standard:

Magic words are not effective in non-normative sections. In any case,
the XML 3rd Edition is switching to RFC 2119 definitions of
MUST, MAY, SHOULD, etc.

> The more I look at the difference between error and fatal error, I get
> the feeling that the standards use of "error" corresponds to what I
> think most people think of as a really stern warning.

Actually, the point of "error" is as a constraint on document authors.
A document that contains an error should not be created, because parsers
may or may not catch the error -- it is a quality-of-implementation issue,
not a conformance issue. A document with a fatal error will always be
caught by a conformant parser.

Warnings are essentially free: a parser may warn about anything it likes,
even "This document begins with an html element, but does not appear
to be XHTML". Again, a quality-of-implementation issue.

--
John Cowan http://www.ccil.org/~cowan jcowan AT reutershealth.com
To say that Bilbo's breath was taken away is no description at all. There are