xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Extra white space escaping to preserve the infoset

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: John Cowan <jcowan AT reutershealth.com>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Extra white space escaping to preserve the infoset
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 17:08:04 -0400

At 4:35 PM -0400 7/9/03, John Cowan wrote:

Good. Then the remaining point is whether setting the line terminator is
"tell[ing] the serializer to adjust the infoset as regards white space".
I contend that it is not, and that the default mode should remain
in effect.

I think I already said that that's not going to be considered telling the serializer to adjust the white space. Though there are really only a few places where a line terminator would be output unless it's in the input or unless the serializer is indenting or trying to keep a maximum line length. Basically just in the prolog of the document, I think.

Here's a question: why would a user set the line terminator at all if they do not want the serializer to adjust the white space? Without also calling setMaxLength or setIndent, setLineSeparator is very close to a no-op.

Processing XML with Java (Addison-Wesley, 2002)
http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/xmljava
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0201771861/cafeaulaitA