xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Extra white space escaping to preserve the infoset

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: "Bradley S. Huffman" <hip AT cs.okstate.edu>
  • To: John Cowan <jcowan AT reutershealth.com>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Extra white space escaping to preserve the infoset
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 15:51:23 -0500

John Cowan writes:

> People who synthesize XOM objects as opposed to building them
> should only be inserting \n characters, because that's what XML
> uses internally as the line-end. If you look at the contents of a
> Text node representing the character content of
>
> <foo>This is a record
> all about grownups</foo>
>
> it will always be "This is a record\n\tall about grownups", based on
> the XML Recommendation, no matter what line terminator was used in
> the document.
>
> So in either case the presence of \r at the XOM level represents an
> anomaly that should force the creation of an escape sequence.

Hmmm, I could easily see users, for portablity, doing something like

String line_seperator = System.getProperty("line.seperator");
attribute.setValue("one and two" + line_sperator + "and three");
serializer.setLineSeperator(line_seperator);

and then wondering why the string is one char. longer on some systems then
on others.

Brad