xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Further thoughts on filters and factories

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: "Bradley S. Huffman" <hip AT cs.okstate.edu>
  • To: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Further thoughts on filters and factories
  • Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 10:14:23 -0500

Elliotte Rusty Harold writes:

> I've been playing with the API, and I think something John suggested
> here is likely to work. First I'll rename makeElement to
> beginMakeElement and endElement to finishMakeElement. (Would
> beginMakingElement and finishMakingElement be more grammatical? or
> perhaps startMakingElement and finishMakingElement?)

Seems awful wordy, startDocument/endDocument, startElement/endElement
seem more natural to me. "start" implies there is going to be a "end".
"make" implies once it returns, it's done, IMHO.

> The only downside I see to this approach is that it will no longer be
> possible to walk up the tree from the currently built element.

I'd leave the attachment of non-null element in beginMakeElement.
This will mean a little more work for XOMHandler because it will
have to remember if beginMakeElement returned a non-null element
that needs to be detached when finishMakeElement returns null, but it
shouldn't be to bad :-)

Brad