xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] XML whitespace in text

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: ksclarke AT stanford.edu
  • To: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] XML whitespace in text
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 09:33:09 -0700

Quoting Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>:

> You might be able to do what you're asking for by subclassing, but
> perhaps not. In any case, I suspect you should probably just go ahead
>
> and preserve white space everywhere.

I can handle comments by overriding, but not attribute values since that
is 'protected final' in Serializer. It is easy enough for me to
maintain that change in TextWriter though as new XOMs are released; I
just thought I'd pose the question.

The reason I want to pretty print is that the XML is machine generated
and so has no indentions... I want them, so I have to deal with the
processing of space and hard returns too I understand. If I could get
the indentions but preserve all other space I would. That's the beauty
of open source though... I can make those tweaks I need.

Thanks, Kevin