xom-interest - [XOM-interest] XOM goes on a diet: 1.0d13 posted

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [XOM-interest] XOM goes on a diet: 1.0d13 posted
  • Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 10:38:43 -0400

I have uploaded XOM 1.0d13 to the usual location:

http://cafeconleche.org/XOM/

I think this release is so much better than previous ones I strongly recommend everyone upgrade. More details on the page, but memory usage should have been cut in half or more for this release. In addition, it's probably a little bit faster. On the other hand, the implementation is a lot trickier now so please let me know if you notice any bugs.

Besides optimization, other changes include:

* EBCDIC serialization support (which was a royal pain due to bugs in Java's EBCDIC conversions)

* The arguments to insertChild (and checkInsertChild and checkRemoveChild) have been reversed. These methods are now:

public void insertChild(Node child, int position)
protected void checkInsertChild(Node child, int position)
protected void checkRemoveChild(Node child, int position)

* The removeChild methods now return the Node they remove:

public Node removeChild(int position)
public Node removeChild(Node child)

* The build() method that build a document by reading a string is now declared to throw an IOException like the other build() methods because an IOException can occur while parsing the external DTD subset.

* The equals() and hashCode() methods were removed from the XSLTransform class. They're probably not necessary, and their behavior was underspecified.

* Several additional methods in Element were marked final: getAttributeCount(), getNamespacePrefix(int index), removeChildren(), and getAttribute(int). Their previous non-finality was an oversight.

Processing XML with Java (Addison-Wesley, 2002)
http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/xmljava
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0201771861/cafeaulaitA