xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Possible ArrayList optimization

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: xom-interest <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Possible ArrayList optimization
  • Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 22:33:25 -0400

At 4:48 PM -0700 5/9/03, dirk bergstrom wrote:

0 and 1 is probably too small, and will result in extra arraycopy operations.

Eventually I'll have to add some real tests. For children I'm starting with a capacity of 1, since that's what will be needed for the very <common>case</common> of an element that only contains text. When I get some real benchmarks I can adjust this.

So far I haven't been able to get my memory down enough to run the programs I want to run. This is with heap sizes of up to 768M which is absolutely obscene for the size of the documents I'm processing. I suspect a memory leak somewhere.

I'm investigating profiling tools to help me locate it. So far I've discovered JProbe is completely non-functional. Once I find something that actually works I may be able to track this down.

Processing XML with Java (Addison-Wesley, 2002)
http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/xmljava
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0201771861/cafeaulaitA