xom-interest - [XOM-interest] Memory is hard

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [XOM-interest] Memory is hard
  • Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 15:21:36 -0400

Just in case anybody thought optimizing or measuring memory in Java was easy, it might be interesting to note that when XOM's encoding test is run by itself, all 15 tests fail with out of memory errors. When it's run as part of the complete test suite (after 140 or so other tests) it runs just fine.

Anyone care to explain that one? Maybe when it's run by itself the JIT grabs just a little too much memory? When it's run after the other tests, the JIT is finished? I'm damned if I can explain this.

Processing XML with Java (Addison-Wesley, 2002)
http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/xmljava
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0201771861/cafeaulaitA

  • [XOM-interest] Memory is hard, Elliotte Rusty Harold, 05/09/2003