xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Modular encoding

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: Nils_Kilden-Pedersen AT Countrywide.Com, xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Modular encoding
  • Date: Sun, 4 May 2003 12:52:44 -0400

At 9:20 AM -0800 3/27/03, Nils_Kilden-Pedersen AT Countrywide.Com wrote:
In the "What's wrong" slides, page 68 on Encoding, it is mentioned that
the Serializer "supports all encodings available in the VM". It also
states that "Modular design makes it fairly easy to add more by
contribution."
Does that mean, that I "fairly easy" can add support for an encoding not
currently supported natively by the VM? And if so, how is that done?
Specifically, I need support for "ebcdic-us" encoding.

Looking at the source code I just realized something. IS EBCDIC-US the same character set as US-ASCII, just mapping the characters to different code points? If so, then try it. Assuming your Java VM support EBCDIC-US it should just work.

On the other hand, it is not trivial to use an encoding not supported by the current VM, so I may have originally misunderstood your question. XOM relies on OutputStreamWriter to convert characters into bytes in the given encoding. All XOM does is figure out which characters can be written in the specified character set and which have to be escaped.
Processing XML with Java (Addison-Wesley, 2002)
http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/xmljava
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0201771861/cafeaulaitA

  • Re: [XOM-interest] Modular encoding, Elliotte Rusty Harold, 05/04/2003