xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] prefixChild?

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: John Cowan <cowan AT mercury.ccil.org>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] prefixChild?
  • Date: Sun, 4 May 2003 11:17:41 -0400

At 10:49 AM -0400 5/4/03, John Cowan wrote:

I'm neutral on whether you should have this method, but if you do,
the natural name is prependChild, which is nicely symmetrical with
appendChild. Mundane English dictionaries don't contain this word, but its
Latinity is impeccable, and the Jargon File already lists it at
http://catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/entry/prepend.html .

I hadn't heard that word before, but it does sound better. I think most programmers will understand it immediately in context by analogy with appendChild.
Processing XML with Java (Addison-Wesley, 2002)
http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/xmljava
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0201771861/cafeaulaitA