xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] XML whitespace in text

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: Dick H <dick AT wt.net>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] XML whitespace in text
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 15:39:10 -0400

I was surprised to see XOM remove newlines in my text:

<element>There was a new line here:
2nd line.
</element>

After using Builder and Xerces 2.4 Builder, I get

<element>There was a new line here: 2nd line.
</element>

My reading of XML spec says that any text within an element (but outside tags) is significant, including new lines.

Whats up?

Did you turn on any of the pretty printing options in the Serializer? (They're all off by default.) If so, that's what's happening. If not, see if you can come up with a simple test case. There might be a bug.

| Elliotte Rusty Harold | elharo AT metalab.unc.edu | Writer/Programmer |
| Processing XML with Java (Addison-Wesley, 2002) |
| http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/xmljava |
| http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0201771861/cafeaulaitA |
| Read Cafe au Lait for Java News: http://www.cafeaulait.org/ |
| Read Cafe con Leche for XML News: http://www.cafeconleche.org/ |