xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Document encoding

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: Örjan Reinholdsen <orjan.reinholdsen AT home.se>, <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Document encoding
  • Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 07:20:08 -0500

At 10:23 PM +0100 2/5/03, Örjan Reinholdsen wrote:

What I want to know is the character encoding of the source XML
document. I need this information to perform transcoding correctly, e.g.
from UTF-8 (XML default) to UCS-2.

I'v looked around in the API docs and tried variouse things, but whitout
luck. Am I missing something or is it impossible?

It's deliberately impossible. Good processes don't depend on the
encoding of the source document. You can pick any supported encoding
for output, regardless of input encoding.

| Elliotte Rusty Harold | elharo AT metalab.unc.edu | Writer/Programmer |
| Processing XML with Java (Addison-Wesley, 2002) |
| http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/xmljava |
| http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0201771861/cafeaulaitA |
| Read Cafe au Lait for Java News: http://www.cafeaulait.org/ |
| Read Cafe con Leche for XML News: http://www.cafeconleche.org/ |