xom-interest - [XOM-interest] XOM design

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Edwin Goei <edwingo AT sun.com>
  • To: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [XOM-interest] XOM design
  • Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 09:38:12 -0800

Hi,

I wrote you earlier and hope you now have some time to share your views in writing on the following points...

I am comparing DOM, JDOM, DOM4J, and XOM. So I was looking over your
XOM presentation and noticed a few features of your API but no
justification for them on your site. You state:

1) DOM: Interfaces are a bad idea
DOM4J: Uses interfaces instead of classes

2) XOM does not allow method call chaining

3) JDOM: Setter methods don't return void

Could you explain why you think the above characteristics are bad in a
XML tree API? For example, why do you think method call chaining is a
bad idea? There are classes in JDK 1.4 like StringBuffer and nio that
support this paradigm.

-Edwin

  • [XOM-interest] XOM design, Edwin Goei, 11/28/2002