xom-interest - [XOM-interest] 1.0d8 with XSLT support

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [XOM-interest] 1.0d8 with XSLT support
  • Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2002 09:26:12 -0500

I've posted version 1.0d8 of XOM in the usual location:

http://cafeconleche.org/XOM

There are no breaking changes in this release.

The big new feature is that XSLT works (modulo some obscure bugs in handling the undeclaration of the default namespace. I need to get some clarification on the proper behavior of SAX processors to fix this.) The TrAX XOMSource and XOMResult classes are not yet public because I'm still thinking about the proper API for these, but you can use the XSLTransform class for most use-cases. You'll need a TrAX compliant XSLT engine such as Saxon or Xalan-J 2.4 somewhere in your classpath to use this.

As part of supporting XSLT, I've discovered a need to undeclare the default namespace on a prefixed element. That is (pre:name xmlns:pre="http://www.example.com"; xmlns="">. You can now do this by passing an empty string for both the prefix and URI to declareNamespace().

I'm travelling quite a bit in November so this is probably the last release this month. The API, however, is starting to feel quite stable to me. Most of the things on my to do list involve implementation details, testing, documentation, benchmarking, optimization, and the like.

One of the places I'm travelling this month is the SD Expo show in Boston. I'll be hosting a Birds of a Feather session there on "What's Wrong with XML APIs and How to Fix Them." I expect this to be more interactive than the XML SIG session in September. Semd me an e-mail if you want more details.

| Elliotte Rusty Harold | elharo AT metalab.unc.edu | Writer/Programmer |
| XML in a Nutshell, 2nd Edition (O'Reilly, 2002) |
| http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/xian2/ |
| http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0596002920/cafeaulaitA/ |
| Read Cafe au Lait for Java News: http://www.cafeaulait.org/ |
| Read Cafe con Leche for XML News: http://www.cafeconleche.org/ |

  • [XOM-interest] 1.0d8 with XSLT support, Elliotte Rusty Harold, 11/03/2002