xom-interest - [XOM-interest] 1.0D6 Now Available with XInclude and Canonical XML Support

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [XOM-interest] 1.0D6 Now Available with XInclude and Canonical XML Support
  • Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 17:20:02 -0400

I've released XOM 1.0d6 at the usual location:

The major additions to this release are two new packages that offer partial but significant support for XInclude and Canonical XML.

XInclude is missing XPointer support but is otherwise up-to-date with the latest working draft, including support for fallbacks and IRIs, features my previous XInclude processors for SAX, DOM, and JDOM don't yet have. The XInclude support was aided by the addition of a new NodeList class that will likely be an important component of both XPath and XSLT support going forward.

Canonical XML is fully supported for complete documents, modulo bugs. I have not yet added support for node-set input. That will take some thought.

This release makes very limited backwards incompatible changes to the API. (A few formerly public methods in Serializer are now protected.) Almost all code that previously compiled and ran with 1.0d4 and 1.0d5 should still compile and run. Other new features in the API in this release include:

* Namespace URIs must now be absolute URI references
* Element.toXML now generates empty-element tags for empty elements
* Serializer has four new protected methods to provide subclasses with more access to the underlying OutputStream:

protected final void writePCDATA(java.lang.String text) throws IOException
protected final void writeAttributeValue(java.lang.String value) throws IOException
protected final void writeMarkup(java.lang.String text) throws IOException
protected final void breakLine() throws IOException

In addition, several bugs were fixed:

* Fixed TextWriter bug that prevented the line separator from being changed
* Fixed a bug that allowed the namespace URI of a prefixed element to be changed to the empty string.
* Fixed a bug that allowed the prefix of an element to be changed to something that conflicts with one of its attributes or additional namespace declarations
* Fixed a bug that prevented the detach() method from working on leaf nodes
* Fixed a bug pointed out by Laurent Bihanic in getNamespaceURI(String prefix) that failed to return namespace URIs from more than one level up in the hierarchy
* Fixed a cosmetic bug in the handling of nbsp in ISO-8859-11 Thai
* Relative URLs in system identifiers for DTDs are now resolved against the base URI of the document specified in the builder instead of the current working directory. (I thought the InputSource systemID should have taken care of this, but apparently it doesn't. This may be a Xerces bug.)

| Elliotte Rusty Harold | elharo AT metalab.unc.edu | Writer/Programmer |
| XML in a Nutshell, 2nd Edition (O'Reilly, 2002) |
| http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/xian2/ |
| http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0596002920/cafeaulaitA/ |
| Read Cafe au Lait for Java News: http://www.cafeaulait.org/ |
| Read Cafe con Leche for XML News: http://www.cafeconleche.org/ |

  • [XOM-interest] 1.0D6 Now Available with XInclude and Canonical XML Support, Elliotte Rusty Harold, 10/12/2002